What is an Industry Steward?
Battery and/or product manufacturers – or what Call2Recycle® refers to as their Industry Stewards – have
united to ensure that the batteries they are introducing into the marketplace are responsibly recycled when they reach their end of life.
Licensees specifically refer to those manufacturers who are financially supporting the Call2Recycle program through the licensing and placement of battery seals on their rechargeable batteries and/or battery-powered products.
What are the Benefits?
Call2Recycle’s industry steward program helps battery and product manufacturers fulfill recycling requirements in the U.S. and Canada, including compliance with extensive state, provincial and federal regulations, such as the Mercury-Containing and Rechargeable Battery Act (The Battery Act).
- Producer Responsibility: demonstrates your company’s commitment to environmentally-sound recycling of batteries.
- Simplicity: allows your company to manage regulatory complexities and cost-effectiveness by supporting one program.
- Liability: serves as a third-party strategy to help reduce your legal risk that results from landfilling, reselling on the black market, or shipping overseas. Call2Recycle meets the highest standards of responsible recycling to ensure batteries are properly managed and recycled, including Responsible Recycling® (R2) certification and e-Stewards recognition by the Basel Action Network (BAN).
- Reporting: on behalf of its stakeholders, Call2Recycle submits extensive recycling reports to regulatory bodies – including British Columbia, Manitoba, and Quebec, which require them as part of the regulations.
- Information: ensures your company remains informed of pertinent updates on regulatory changes, steward responsibilities and fees and collection results.
What batteries do you recycle?
- Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd)
- Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
- Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn)
- Lithium Ion (Li-Ion)
- Small Sealed Lead Acid (SSLA/Pb)
- Single-Use batteries, including alkaline and lithium primary (Canada Only)
For more information, visit our Industry Steward Support Center or contact Customer Service at 877.723.1297