Call2Recycle® works closely with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) to ensure safe collection and recycling of rechargeable batteries collected by the program.
What We Do:
- Regularly provide program participants with safety updates to maintain DOT compliance
- Communicate to program participants and supporters about safety regulations through newsletters, print materials, webinars and e-updates. Want to stay informed? Sign up
Good to Know:
- The DOT also audits INMETCO, to ensure collection containers from program participants are packed and labeled according to guidelines.
- The program earned 95% compliance rate during the last DOT audit. The goal is to reach 100% and Call2Recycle will continue educational efforts about safety and shipping.
- In April 2010, Call2Recycle transitioned a new battery and cellphone collection kit. It’s the first and only collection kit issued a special permit by the DOT after passing rigid safety tests.