Safety & Shipping Tips
Storing and shipping rechargeable batteries is generally safe if you follow the Flyer - Box Guidelines included in the Call2Recycle® collection kit. Recycling power tool packs? Flyer - 5 Tips for Safely Recycling Power Tool Battery Packs
Collection Kit Shipping Guidelines
Accept rechargeable batteries weighing less than 11 lbs / 5 kg each.
Bag individual battery or cover exposed metal portion with electrical or nonconductive tape.
Write accumulation start date on the back of the box. Keep collection box in a dry, cool and monitored area.
Do not overfill the collection box. Cross-tape the box before shipping. (Please be careful not to cover up the shipping label bar code.)
Follow the shipping instructions on the back of the collection box.
Lithium Ion, Non-Call2Recycle Boxes (or older Call2Recycle boxes):
Participants shipping in old Call2Recycle or non-Call2Recycle kits need to follow our Lithium Ion Shipping Instructions. All shipments must travel via ground service only and ship to the following address:
Call2Recycle Site ID Number (if you cannot locate your Site ID, please call 877.723.1297)
One INMETCO Drive
Ellwood City, PA 16117
Bulk Shipping Guidelines
For participants shipping containers bulk on pallets via standard ground:
- Check that you have a MINIMUM of 500 pounds total for your shipment
- Ensure that you are shipping only dry-cell Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Ni-Zn,SSLA/Pb or Li-Ion rechargeable batteries weighing ll lbs. each or less
- Verify that batteries are packaged to meet US Department of Transportation (USDOT) requirements. They are individually bagged, have taped terminals or meet USDOT short-circuit protection requirements.
- After securing your containers to pallet(s), you will need a Bill of Lading (BOL). You can create one easily with our BOL Wizard using your Call2Recycle site ID and 5 digit zip code. If you need your Call2Recycle site info, please call 877-723-1297.
- Our BOL Wizard will provide you labels. Please be sure to put ONE LABEL PER CONTAINER and mark accordingly. You will also need to put a copy of the BOL on each pallet. For containers that contain Li-Ion under 66 lbs., they will need a special Li-Ion warning label and containers over 66 pounds need hazardous material Class 9 labeling. For containers that contain SSLA/Pb, they will need a “non-spillable” label.
- You can schedule your pick-up through the online wizard or call our freight partner, UPS, to arrange pick-up: 800-333-7400